2 Timothy 4:7-10
Our family has been studying the above verses for the past week. "Train yourself to be Godly" has been the main point of our discussions. My sports-minded son has especially connected with this, as did his sister who also trains in a sport. They both take tennis lessons where they spend a lot of time practicing the same movements and steps over and over again. We've had many talks comparing physical training to spiritual training. They are both hard to do no matter what age you are, and they also both require determination. I want my kids to do well in sports, and enjoy themselves as they stay healthy. But, more importantly, I want them to excell in training to be godly. We(hubby and I) are training them to be more patient, loving, and merciful. We have to train to be patient with them as they train lol. Training to be godly is not an easy thing when you are with your siblings 24/7. Spending so much time together provides great bonding time, but also provides time to sharpen your "fruit of the spirit" skills.
These verses have been on my mind lately as I strive to be a more patient, loving, and merciful mom.
One thing that I love about teaching my kids, is that I am learning so much! I've learned a ton while studing history, or doing science work with them. But more then anything, I have really learned so much about the Bible. This is one area of my life that I want to grow leaps and bounds. I am trying to read as much as possible and glean off of other Christians the wisdom and knowledge that they have attained. I also am trying to read the Bible a lot more. I want so much to fill my kids with wisdom and knowledge....to send them off as adults with their minds and hearts so full of the word of God that they can handle anything that comes their way. Sometimes, I feel so ill-equiped for this job. I have 5 souls that I am loving, raising, and teaching. I feel so incredibly blessed to have this job, but I also understand the importance of doing it right. I realize that I only have a short time to do those 3 things well. What I fill them with will have a great effect on the rest of their lives. What I do today will affect their tomorrow.








No comments:
Post a Comment